Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Get Well Soon...

As Presidential Primary season heats up (though not in Kentucky, where our primary is the equivalent of the last guy picked in the NFL draft: Mr. Irrelevant), my attention has been drawn to the six semi-legitimate candidates, three from each party, who have a shot at becoming our next president. I cannot and will not pretend to have a comprehensive knowledge of each candidate's campaigns or their stances on the wide variety of hot-button issues being discussed across the airwaves and (presumably) in living rooms across America. However, I can and will speak here about the issue which concerns me most as a citizen of this country: Health Coverage.

More than 50 million Americans are currently without health insurance, roughly one sixth of our current population. I do not know what percentage within that 50 million are under the age of 18, but I would wager that it is unpleasantly high. If we cannot agree upon a health care plan which offers universal coverage (which is my preference), surely we can agree that every person under the age of legal adulthood deserves reliable, immediate medical care without consideration for their ability to pay. While it is true that hospitals cannot refuse to treat a patient in need, regardless of insurance status, they may, at their discretion, withhold certain treatments or procedures that, while proven effective, are too expensive or else are not covered by a patient's current insurance plan. The wealthy are, in many instances, able to provide themselves with better health care than others. This may seem normal in a capitalist society which extols personal ambition and gain as a high virtue. I will concede that working hard and investing intelligently are commendable; even that they give the wealthy the "right" to a more luxurious mid-size sedan, or a country club membership that most of us could not afford. Health coverage, however, is not a rolex, an Armani suit, or a Hawaiian vacation. It is a basic right. The first right, actually, described in the Declaration of Independence. Life. Not merely to live, but to live healthily, live well. Health care is for everybody.

I do not know which if any current presidential hopefuls can make a real difference on this front, though I know many plan to. Keep the uninsured in mind as you consider your vote for president in 2008. Along with the Iraq War and immigration, the decisions made by our next commander-in-chief on this issue will play a vital role in America's tangible future (as opposed to the mythical future which candidates seem to address in which everybody is smart, well-fed, wealthy and happy), for better or for worse. Do some research on the subject and the candidates and figure out early where you stand, so that as election day approaches, you don't end up voting for the guy with the prettiest sign.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Petie@resonatechurch.org said...

Yes! You have joined the craze of 2008! Our blogging community grows! I love it.

I'm going to call you back within the next 24 hours, possibly the next 12 hours. I want to see Cloverfield, have you seen it?

I agree that we should certainly keep the uninsured in mind when we vote. I'm really skeptical about Obama. I love the way he looks, but man my gut just tells me that somethings up with him. I don't always trust my instincts, but I've learned to do so more and more. I don't know if a "bend over and grab your ankles" approach to foreign relations is a good thing. I know that if he is president everyone will like us again.......but I don't know if I want that right now. Just makes our whole nation look two faced. Where is the continuity in our nations presidential heritage? No doubt its been tainted. But I would prefer to not throw it out the door completely. I feel Obama would definetely be a change, just not sure if its the right one.

Also, I'm not sure that I think Obama brings about the change that really aligns with my faith. I know it appears that he does....but I'm just not sure yet.

Miss you man, talk to you soon.

by the way, on your blog settings, change it to where anyone can comment, especially as anonymous, its much easier for fools like me. pretty please.

Corman said...

I think Obama is willing to speak with other countries, including ones that dislike us. Seems a better approach than shutting ourselves out of important dialogues because we're a stubborn bunch of pricks. I don't think it would make us look two-faced as much as it would make us look sane.